Thursday, February 19, 2009

Action! Planning!

This post was put together by April Hook and I'm posting it on her behalf. -ed.

Things I have learned as a VISTA :
1) Never get sick.
2) Beer + fundraiser= more money
3) Never get sick.
4) Low on food? Throw a VISTA pot luck.
5) Never get sick.
6) Wearing pajamas to an award ceremony is not as comfortable as it sounds.
7) Never get sick.
8) Everyone loves sea monkeys.
9) Never get sick.
10) To have happy VISTAs: Always have meetings at the end of the day close to a bar.

The last blog entry was informative and I hope that this one will be as well. I’m writing on putting together an action plan.
This can be used for an individual in their specific duties or in a group at an organization.

Have a mission statement. If the organization has a mission statement in place that works for what need to be accomplished then use it. All mission statements need to be no longer then two to three short sentences, and need to be easy to understand. Mission statements are about what the program/individual is already doing.

A vision statement is allowed to be a little longer, up to five sentences, about what the program/individual will accomplish in the future. It’s important that the vision statement reflects the mission statement.

Goal setting is the key to action planning. Establish goals using the Vision for the program/individual. Make sure that all goals fit in to the overall mission statement. One way to set productive goals is to use the S.M.A.R.T.E.R. method.
SMARTER is an acronym, that is, a word composed by joining letters from different words in a phrase or set of words. In this case, a SMARTER goal or objective is:

Specific: For example, it's difficult to know what someone should be doing if they are to pursue the goal to "work harder". It's easier to recognize "Write a paper".

Measurable: It's difficult to know what the scope of "Writing a paper" really is. It's easier to appreciate that effort if the goal is "Write a 30-page paper".

Acceptable: If I'm to take responsibility for pursuit of a goal, the goal should be acceptable to me. For example, I'm not likely to follow the directions of someone telling me to write a 30-page paper when I also have to five other papers to write. However, if you involve me in setting the goal so I can change my other commitments or modify the goal, I'm much more likely to accept pursuit of the goal as well.

Realistic: Even if I do accept responsibility to pursue a goal that is specific and measurable, the goal won't be useful to me or others if, for example, the goal is to "Write a 30-page paper in the next 10 seconds".

Time frame: It may mean more to others if I commit to a realistic goal to "Write a 30-page paper in one week". However, it'll mean more to others (particularly if they are planning to help me or guide me to reach the goal) if I specify that I will write one page a day for 30 days, rather than including the possibility that I will write all 30 pages in last day of the 30-day period.

Extending: The goal should stretch the performer's capabilities. For example, I might be more interested in writing a 30-page paper if the topic of the paper or the way that I write it will extend my capabilities.

Rewarding: I'm more inclined to write the paper if the paper will contribute to an effort in such a way that I might be rewarded for my effort.

(This model is found on Free Management Library a complete integrated online library for
nonprofits. http://managementhelp.org/plan_dec/gen_plan/gen_plan.htm )

Make several small goals that lead to the eventual vision for the program/individual. When making and action plan it’s always best to work backwards, starting at the vision or main objective. Then find the next “step” or goal that will need to be accomplished to reach the main objective. Continue to set goals that will serve as steps until the point where immediate action can be made.

This is the simple plan I used to remodel a nursery in to the ASP computer Lab

A.S.P

Goals and Strategies

Come up with a plan (9/25/07 – 9/30/07)
· Use information off the internet to organize a plan.
· Get feedback in staff meetings
· Get feedback from Ryan and Ian
· Revise Plan as needed
Plan where the ASP will be set up. (9/17/07 – 10/5/07)
· Talk to Ryan about possible locations within the facility
· Raise issue at the staff meeting
· Consult with John and someone else who has knowledge of facility-related matters to estimate cost.
· Write a budget with the highest estimation.
Apply for grants and do fundraising letters (10/1/07- continually).
· Start writing and sending out grant requests for seed money.
· Send out fundraising letters
· Ask for gifts in kind
Get supplies for room remodel (10/8/07 – 10/5/07)
· Ask around to see if someone would give a non- profit discount.
· Gifts in kind
· Use raised money
Find volunteers to remodel the room (3/01/08 – 4/30/08)
· Use 1-800volunteer.org
· Send out letter to donors
· Ask teens at Higher Grounds about helping
· Ask people at church

When I had completed the goal of having the room remodeled for the computer lab I was off on my time line by about 4 months but I kept my focus of completing the room and revised my plan as I needed. I found that specific action steps work best when they are done before the goal needs to be completed. You might find, as I did, that a small change in one of the steps may completely make other steps moot. For example: one of the people I asked to look at the place and estimate how much remodeling materials would cost volunteered to work on the room with me and the last step (recruiting of volunteers) was taken care of.

No comments: